8. A 30-year old patient is in the Emergency Department suffering from seizures related to alcohol withdrawal. They will soon be admitting this patient to the non-medical psychiatric care unit. The psychiatric nurse knows that, in order to keep this patient safe, he must perform which priority nursing action?
- Ask the physician for a prescription for clonazepam, an anxiolytic that may help with the withdrawal symptoms.
- Ensure that a working IV pump is set up and ready to work at the patient’s bedside.
- Order a STAT arterial blood gas lab.
- Pad the side rails of the patient’s assigned bed.
Topic: Safety and Infection Control, Injury Prevention